Wednesday, March 27, 2013

PUG REVIEW: THE IRON THORN BY CAITLIN KITTREDGE

THE IRON THORN- IRON CODEX #1- CAITLIN KITTREDGE
                                                                               BLURB:
The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1)In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft's epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical—born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.
     Aoife Grayson's family is unique, in the worst way—every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different.



  •  GENRE: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dystopian, SteamPunk, Romance
  • PAGES: 492
  • CHAPTERS: 40
Published February 22nd 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
  
PAW RATING:

KEYWORDS: SteamPunk, History, Dystopian, Monsters,Myth, Romance, Teen characters, Folk lore. 

IN SHORT: A slow start but once it's gotten warmed up there are so many surprising and brilliantly timed twists you wont want to put the book down.

GINNY'S (THE PUG'S) REVIEW:

I encountered the iron thorn in my local waterstone store and knew there and then I had to have such an intriguing book.
This my first time reading anything written by Caitlin Kittredge and despite the slow start I did enjoy her  imaginative storyline and well planned twist and surprises.

The story was slow to burn at the beginging and I did begin to worry that I wouldn't be able to finish the book as it did come across as somewhat boring and I just couldn't warm up to the main characters, but gradually as the story progressed the character became more 3D and likable and the story became more excitable to the point I just couldn't put the book down, I needed to know what the next twist in this very deceiving storyline was going to be.

I couldn't believe it when I reached the first and most important twist in the plot, which the whole book is based on, I don't think anyone else who reads this book will guess what it truly about until the book wants you to know. Although I can not say what this is, I will say I don't normally goes for these types of books and if I knew what is was about I probably wouldn't have picked it up but I am so glad  I did because if you don't read this book you be missing out on a gem.

This book might be a little slow to start and Ive read other reviews that say Caitlin Kittredge writing style can stray sometime in being too over descriptive but don't let this put you off as once this puppy gets started you are not going to what to put it down, its exciting, surprising and one otherworldly  adventure.

OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES:
 The Nightmare Garden (Iron Codex, #2)The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)

I hope you have enjoyed my latest review, please come back soon.
Ginny
xx




1 comment:

  1. I've read her adult books in the Black London Series and really enjoyed them. I do want this series. So glad to hear you enjoyed it, and thanks for the warning about slow starting. :)

    ReplyDelete